- Expository writing: Record information, write a summary based on the information gathered that include(s): a topic sentence, supporting details, relevant information
- Write an explanatory essay that includes: a thesis statement, supporting details, introductory, body, and concluding paragraphs
- Students will be expected to acquire and use new vocabulary in relevant contexts.
- Students will read from a variety of genres with accuracy, automaticity, and prosody.
- Students will implement all stages of the effective writing process (prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, publishing).
- Students will write with the six traits of good writing (ideas and content, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions).
- Employ strategies to comprehend texts.
- Identify, analyze, and apply knowledge of the structures and elements of literature.
- Recognize and apply knowledge of historical and cultural aspects of American, British, and world literature.