- Students will write a literary response where the student will write about their reaction to a literary selection. The response will include the writer's interpretation, analysis, opinion, and/or feelings about the piece of literature and selected elements within it.
- Students will be expected to acquire and use new vocabulary in relevant contexts.
- Students will read from a variety of genres with accuracy, automaticity, and prosody.
- Students will implement all stages of the effective writing process (prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, publishing).
- Students will write with the six traits of good writing (ideas and content, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions).
- Employ strategies to comprehend texts.
- Identify, analyze, and apply knowledge of the structures and elements of literature.
- Recognize and apply knowledge of historical and cultural aspects of American, British, and world literature.